MEDIUM EMPLOYER CERTIFICATION OF RECOGNITION
A new audit program has been developed for medium size employers.The purpose of this program is to give medium size employers, between 11-30 employees, an avenue to progress into the regular Employee Certificate of Recognition Program.
- A "medium size employer" is defined as an employer who has 11-30 employees.
- "Employees" are deflned as anyone who carries out activities that directly affect the outcome of the employer's work. This includes the owner, clerical or administration staff, part time workers, temporary staff, family members, volunteers, sub-contractors, piece workers, etc.
- For the first year of the Medium Employer Certificate of Recognition (MECOR) 2004, the MECOR is available to employers who do not have a regular Certificate of Recognition (COR) as of January 1, 2004.
- In subsequent year of the pilot (2005 and forward), any employer who, as of January 1, 2004 holds a current COR, cannot use the MECOR audit. Employers with an existing or lapsed COR cannot fall back into the MECOR or Small Employer Certificate or Recognition (SECOR) programs.
- Employers must complete the training requirements necessary for developing a health and safety management system under the regular COR program. This may or may not include auditor training.
- The MECOR program follows a three-year cycle.
- Year One - Medium sized employers complete a SECOR Audit using an external auditor.
- If successful, maintenance years two and three are conducted by a certified auditor using a regular COR audit instrument.
- If unsuccessful in years two or three, re-certification is conducted by an external auditor, using the regular COR audit instrument. The MECOR process cannot be started again.
- Year Four- re-certification is conducted by an external auditor using a regular COR audit instrument. The employer is now evaluated as per the regular COR process.
-Year Two - a minimum score of 50% overall is required;
-Year Three - a minimum score of 70% overall, with a minimum of 50% in each element is required.
- Safety Basics - first year of program
- Hazard Assessment - first year of program
- Safety Auditor - by the end of the first quarter of the second year
- Effective Disability Management - second year of program
- Supervisor Training (LSE) - third year of program
If you are a medium size employer and wish to participate in this program please contact: